Back to school means it is time for one of our favorite sports to return as well. Are you ready for some football? Or, are your EARS ready for some football?
Autzen Stadium, where the Oregon ducks play, has been nicknamed the “House of Loud.” But, the truth is that it should be the name for ALL football stadiums. The cheer of the crowd during a big score, the excitement of the announcer analyzing each play, the marching band leading the celebration, and the rumble of the stadium seats all play a part in making high school, college, and professional stadiums some of the loudest venues in the world.
There are thousands of people packed into one area where “getting loud” is encouraged to show your support for your team. Football stadiums can average between 80 and 90 decibels. That’s considered in the “loud” or “extremely loud” range where hearing protection is recommended. Levels in some of the loudest football stadiums can reach into 100 decibels, which is dangerous for your hearing! When the Seattle Seahawks broke the world record for the loudest crowd roar in history at 137.6 decibels, it was said to cause a “mini earthquake.”
This can be a scary reality for people who love attending football games, not to mention the players, cheerleaders, bands, refs, and staff participating in the games. It may only take one game to cause damage to your ears. Those who attend football games on a regular basis are at an even greater risk because the noise effects on the ears are cumulative as well. Exposure to stadium noise can cause temporary hearing loss, which can eventually lead to permanent hearing loss, as well as a risk of developing tinnitus (ringing in your ears) and hyperacusis (an increased sensitivity to everyday sounds).
So how do you still enjoy the excitement of the football game without sacrificing your hearing? IT’S SIMPLE! Wear a pair of earmuffs, earplugs, or custom made earplugs. They can reduce the sound level by 20 to 30 decibels, bringing the noise exposure into a safer range. It’s an inexpensive investment that can save your hearing.
Interested in learning more about protecting your hearing?
Call TODAY’S HEARING at (281) 578-7500 for an appointment with a licensed Doctor of Audiology.
How to Throw A Hearing Friendly BBQ
With Summer coming to a close and Labor Day rapidly approaching, most of us are thinking of a last big BBQ BASH!
BBQ’s can be extremely sensory in every way possible. Smells are everywhere from the delicious food to the smoky haze that can linger on your clothes. There are so many things to touch and feel like homemade ice cream on your tongue and the soft grass beneath your feet. Colors are abundant in what people are wearing to the fruity drinks being poured. Sound plays a big part here too, though. Can you imagine enjoying all this if you were unable to enjoy the chatter of your friends, or hear the sizzling of the barbecue on the grill?
If you have a friend or family member with hearing loss, there are steps you can take to ensure they have the best time possible at your next BBQ:
- Keep any background music down as much as possible. This can get overlooked sometimes when the playlist is really good. But your guest with hearing loss could really struggle with conversation if the music is too loud.
- Have some good lighting available for when it starts to get darker in the evening. Your guest with hearing loss may be relying on lip reading and interpreting other guests body language in order to help them communicate.
- Make sure you introduce everyone from the start. This is a nice thing, which is a good practice to do anyway, but particularly if your guest with hearing loss isn’t already familiar with everyone. It can really help break the ice when mingling later on if they know everybody’s name in advance.
Here at Today’s Hearing, we understand purchasing hearing aids is a lifetime commitment. As a THANK YOU to our loyal patients, we offer a discount on your next hearing aid purchase!
- $500 off for a pair of hearing aids purchased 5 years ago or less
- $250 off for a pair of hearing aids purchased over 5 years ago
CALL (281) 578-7500 FOR AN APPOINTMENT TODAY & TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR LOYALTY PROGRAM!